Monday, October 26, 2009

Where the wild things are.......

We all know I'm not a movie critic. Just a dude with an opinion about stuff I'm passionate about. With that said, I thought this movie was perfect. I read the book a thousand times when I was a kid. It's as ingrained in my childhood as Michael Jackson and Goose Bumps. I remember the story being like 10 pages or something with 8 sentences. When I heard they were making a movie, I wondered if it was gonna be a short or some shit because how do you get more than 10 minutes from 10 pages. With that said, Spike Jonze and co snapped. The movie is perfect in that it takes from those pages and builds perfectly around them. Theirs little dialog throughout the film but the imagery and the music is enough to evoke those emotions we all feel when we're little kids. Loneliness, nervousness, fear, reckless I don't give a fuck type feelings..and an imagination. Its funny I'm a grown ass man and still I connect with what this movie is trying to do. Spike Jonze said he wasn't trying to make a kids movie, but make a movie about being a kid. In a modern world where nothing is perfect and all we have is our imaginations to help us out. In the movie, each of monsters embody a different feeling, anger, nervousness, fun, fuckery, ect.. Like max, we need all of these feelings to survive in this world. To connect to something more real inside of us than what goes on in the world around us. We need to be our own versions of The Wild Things, and this movie puts them on display for all of us. I think its ingenious. and Sunny started crying, so I guess she'll second that. Lol.

No comments: