Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Lemur Project: Song #1.


Kanye West "All falls Down"

Jesper @ The Lemur Blog hit me up a couple days ago about a project he was putting together. The Lemur was one of the most looked @ blogs on Hype machine a few days ago, pretty much sharing the new music and bands he enjoys. I was featured in there a couple months back as his blog was the first to feedback on "Styrofoam Cups"....
Anyway, the project is pretty much picking a couple of his favorite artists and having them compile a list of 12 of their favorite songs (no select order) and talkig about why they are what they are...the favorites. I think it's a pretty sick idea so I say cool. I figured since I'm sharing I might as well share across the board so here is the first one I put on the list.

I was a fan of Kanye before he was rapping, I loved his beats. Him, and Just Blaze really helped bring the soulful, sample, vintage feel back to Hip Hop. When "through the wire" came out I was really more so enjoying the beat and the fact that someone new from the southside of my city was about to blow, he had the roc, jay's co-sign and his perspective was so different. This song is what really made me a fan though. Before Lupe, The Cool Kids, and whoever else you want to call different, Kanye was THAT guy. This song really revieled so much about how people saw themselves and really introduced a new perspective in a time that really felt open as far as music was concerned. I felt like Kanye really understood what we were all going through trying to be fly and unique at the same time. Now unique is fly but in the throwback era....not so much. If you look @ the video there's a scene where he's in the bathroom trying to clean his shirt and then he looks into the mirror and wipes his eyes, its like he's really seeing himself for who he is, and he's cool. I don't know if my music would be what it is if not for The College Dropout. Also, sidebar, I have Lauryn Hill's unplugged album so I thought the way he flipped the sample on that was great.

No comments: