Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Lemur Project: Song #7


Lupe Fiasco "Steady Mobbin"

Peep projects origins here.

Nobody touches Lupe man. Really, lyrically, Lu is one of the greatest. I remember all the mixtapes, listening to switch and spazz out in my dorm room. Jay-Z had retired, Nas wasn't on it like that, Kanye was that dude but he isn't the best lyricily. Lupe came out of nowhere, well, he came from my city and blew up the spot. It took me 2 listens to know I was a fan, I thought I was the shit and Lupe showed every dude who thought he was a rapper how we were suppose to bring it. Lupe would come to Columbia and spit before he got signed, he'd perform this song and we all knew the words all ready. This song was one of those, face scrunching, head nodding, chill out and listen joints. Lupe made you listen to every word 5 times before you were hit in the face with a message that wasn't forced on you but presented to you so left from what was going on at the time. This song was my train trips, it's music made for headphones. Lupe perfectly describes the world we all came from and does it intelligently and without sounding cliche'. Just dope man, game changing. Trend setting. Gifted. Dope.

No comments: